Travel this summer….southern style!
Goldring/Woldenberg Institute of Southern Jewish Life
3 June – 9 August 2012
“Raise your eyes and look out from where you are, to the north and to the south.”
~ Genesis 13:14 ~
Are you looking for an exciting summer opportunity that will give you invaluable rabbinic and/or cantorial experience, while receiving ongoing rabbinic support? Do you want to employ the skills and knowledge you have been learning all year in a way that will make a tremendous impact on the lives of others? Is being part of a dynamic team of Jewish professionals, who engage Judaism in unique and creative ways, important to you? If your answer is “Yes,” then the Goldring/Woldenberg Institute of Southern Jewish Life’s Rabbinic/Cantorial Internship may just be the summer opportunity you have been looking for.
As an Institute of Southern Jewish Life (ISJL) Rabbinic or Cantorial Intern, you will become part of a team that is reshaping the Jewish professional landscape with an innovative approach to the challenges faced by isolated and underserved congregations in the Southern United States. In addition to enriching everyday Jewish life for these small communities who have limited access to rabbinic guidance, you will assist the ISJL Director of Rabbinic Services in establishing greater interfaith, intergenerational, and interracial dialogue. Through these efforts, you will help these historic communities continue to play a significant role in American Jewish life for years to come.
Specifically, the Rabbinic or Cantorial Intern will:
- Travel Southern U.S. to celebrate Judaism with communities without fulltime rabbinic support.
- Lead a variety of services (Shabbat, Holiday Observances, etc.) in a variety of environments.
- Create & implement education materials: Torah Studies, Adult Educations, Judaism 101, etc.
- Write insightful sermons as part of the ISJL's Taste of Torah series.
- Provide pastoral care: home, nursing home, hospital visits.
- Take an important role in the ISJL’s annual Teachers’ Training Institute.
- Address & participate with interfaith groups, representing the ISJL & the Jewish community.
- Join the Director of Rabbinic Services in officiating life-cycle events.
- Serve as a role model to those who do not have ongoing exposure to Jewish professionals.
What You Will Gain:
This position is ideal for a creative, flexible, practical idealist, who desires to work hard and gain experience in religious leadership within the congregational, educational, and organizational components of Jewish communal service. Through this energizing summer internship, you will establish important contacts with other Jewish professionals as well as gain invaluable skills – in mentorship with the Director of Rabbinic Services – that will help shape your rabbinate or cantorate for years to come. The stipend is $4000.
We are now accepting resumes; those submitted by February 28, 2013
will receive first consideration.
So, if you are a current rabbinical or cantorial student (third year or above preferred), please send your resume with references, along with a letter of interest and 2 sample sermons to firstname.lastname@example.org. And, for more information please check out our website, www.isjl.org, or call (601) 362-6357.